We study the physics and mathematics of geophysical fluid flows in subsurface environments. We create theoretical and computational tools to investigate these multi-physics processes and address engineering challenges related to energy and the environment. Our work is at the intersection of petroleum engineering, geophysics, hydrogeology, and computational mechanics.
- 08/28/19: Dr. Jha gives an invited talk at the Department of Petroleum Engineering in the University of North Dakota.
- 08/19/19: Ahmed’s paper Coupled Poromechanics-Damage Mechanics Modeling of Fracturing During Injection in Brittle Rocks was accepted for publication in the Int J Numerical Methods in Engineering.
- 06/07/19: Xiaoxi’s paper Role of Well Operations and Multiphase Geomechanics in Controlling Fault Stability during CO2 Storage and Enhanced Oil Recovery was published in Journal of Geophysical Research.
- 05/24/19: Dr. Jha talks to the students of Mira Costa High School about “Hydraulic fracturing: Current practices, issues, and solutions.”
- 05/10/19: Congratulations to Ahmed and Magdalene on receiving their PhD diploma!
- 04/23-04/26/19: Minh and Mohammed win 2nd prize in the SPE Student Paper Contest under PhD and Undergraduate categories. Xiaoxi and Abdulrahman present their SPE papers.
- 04/19/19: Manjunath’s paper, “Geomechanical Characterization of Gondwana Shale across Nano-micro-meso Scales,” is accepted in Int J Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences.
- 04/09/19: Dr. Azadeh Riahi of the Itasca Consulting Group gives a guest lecture in PTE 592 Computational Geomechanics course.
- 03/21/19: We had another successful visit by the students and teachers of the John Adams Middle School to our rock mechanics lab as part of our USC-JAMS Outreach Program.
- 03/01/19: Manjunath’s paper Nanoscale Fracture Mechanics of Gondwana Coal is published in Int J Coal Geology.
- 02/10/19: Dr. Jha gives an invited talk at the Manhattan Beach Community Church Adult Discussion Group on “What Is Fracking and Why Does It Matter”.
- 12/15/18: Renuhaa’s work with our collaborator Dr. Bhaskar Kundu, Seasonal modulation of deep slow-slip and earthquakes on the Main Himalayan Thrust is published in Nature Communications.